Friday, March 11, 2011

Final First Thursday


For my final First Thursday I decided that I was going to go along the lines of our public art project with these wonder functional bike racks that are placed throughout the Pearl district in NW Portland.

These adorable little bike lockup area/posts are little replicas of the Freemont Bridge. The base of the structure has blue in reference to the Willamette below while the rest is constructed in grey steel (I’m guessing) that even includes little cars, trucks, and semi’s driving on the bridge.

I had never thought of these pieces as art until we went on our public art “field trip” and we where pointed out those tacky looking orange bike post/path markers. I truley love how these reference a local structure while making it so useful.

-Amy Grider

No comments:

Post a Comment